OUR ADVERTISERS

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Vintage 1950 CCM Ladies Bicycle, mine...all mine!



Ok, this post is not about how to do anything. It's just about me proudly showing off my new acquisition. A very good friend of mine called me 2 days ago asking if I wanted an old ladies CCM bike from the 40's or 50's. Didn't have to think long about that answer especially since it was free. I always wanted one of those long swooping top tube ladies bike for my collection, to the dismay of my significant other (sorry babe).

I was able to date the bike using the serial number code. You can see the list below that I found courtesy of drumbent.com. Now I don't now if the series goes beyond 1960 in the same fashion, so if anybody out there knows, please fill us in and I will update this post.


Although built in 1950, the bike is a prime example of late Victorian era bicycle design built for ladies who wanted to go about in those nice big skirts. A lady would just not be seen wearing trousers in those days for any reason. The big swooping top tube made stepping through the frame very easy. Another feature that was found on those ear;y bikes was a net fixed to the rear frame and fender to prevent the skirt from ending up in the wheel spokes. A nice big whicker basket up front would complete the vintage ride.

The bicycle was a big part in the emancipation of women in the late 19th and early 20th century. No longer did a woman need a man to prepare a horse and buggy. The bike was ready to go any time and didn't need any feeding or cumbersome maintenance of the veterinarian or stinky kind. Took up a lot less room as well. All of a sudden, women could go anywhere in town and at a faster rate than walking.

My plans for this bike are not set in stone yet. I really don't have any big ideas. However, I know for a fact that I will not touch the finish of the bike. This rusty used up look gives it character. The wheels are completely gone but the front and rear hub can be laced to another rim since they are of the 36 spoke variety. Hope this post helped to at least inspire someone and motivate them to bring back an "Old Girl" back to life, or any bike for that matter.

Til next time, ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry :)

30 comments:

Mark said...

Gee, what a nice bike! ;)

Anonymous said...

I just discovered that I have one just like yours. I acquired it from a 'clean out' of a garage a number of years ago and had it rusting in my backyard. This summer I decided to tinker a bit and went through the process of unseizing the chain links, oiling any moveable parts and putting air in the tires (one of which needs replacing).
In short, it works and can be ridden ... which I will do.
Through your posting I beielve the serial number is telling me I have the 1948 model. Same style and colour as the one in your photo.
Very cool.

Gerry Lauzon said...

Nice to hear that one more will be brought back to life. I have to kick myself in the butt and post where I am with that bike right now. I've been so caught up in the build that I don't have time left to post. It's changed quite a bit.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out what year my CCM is. I looked at the chart you have posted and, through comparison of the serial number, I found that it is closest to the 1925 listing. However, mine has an extra digit. The serial number reads; E761357. Does anyone know what this means? What year is it?

Gerry Lauzon said...

Dear anonymous,

Could you provide me with some pictures of your bike via email at: xddorox (at) gmail.com? I will try to help you out.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

where do you find the serial number for your CCM?

Gerry Lauzon said...

It was located on the seat tube near the seat post.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help. I just bought my grandaughter a bike but it had a rusty siezed chain with a derailer. I had no idea what to do to fix this problem, but your how to video was helpful. I havent tackled the problem yet, but i have bookmarked the site and will be purchasing the new chain in the near future.
Darlene

Professor Prawns said...

thanks for this post, I was able to determine the age of my CCM Cruiser, which was made in 1941! Horray!

Unknown said...

Cool stuff, glad I could help.

Gerry :)

Em said...

Hi,
I've been trying to track down the history of my new bike. It's got Svensk written all over it, so obviously swedish, with a german brake hub. Was having trouble identifying the logo- which is a wheel with wings and a crown. Just found a modern logo which is Crown Moto and looks like it could be an updated version. Have you any clue?
I checked the serial number but it doesnt have any letters at all....

Hope you can help...

Emma

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=226822&id=576020925&l=3712733361

Gerry Lauzon said...

Sorry Emma, I have no further information for you.

Gerry

Nicole said...

Hi I'm happy that I came across this page, and I was wondering if you would be able to answer a question for me. I'm thinking of buying a bike that is the exact same one as your, but it is a different colour. You seem to know alot about bikes, so I was curious about what type of paint I would be able to use to change that colour, seeing that I'm not that fond of what it is now.

Gerry Lauzon said...

Hello Nicole, you can use anything short of water colors. Paint is temporary on everything and you can always strip or paint again over it. There is no way to damage the frame underneath.

Gerry :)

Nicole said...

Alright, Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

i have matching ladies/mens ccm bikes and the serial numbers start with an F and the other starts with a G...using this list you posted nothing matches....can someone give me any ideas

Anonymous said...

I was given a CCM Encore and dont know the year of it, the year listings you have shown have 1 letter with 5 numbers, but mine has 1 letter with 6 numbers, can you help me and tell me the year of it plzzzz e081211
thank you!!

Gerry Lauzon said...

The "Encore" labelled bikes date from the 1970's.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, thank you very much (( my friend who gave it to me said it was from the 50's but I couldnt find anything on it )) lol

Stephanie said...

I have a CCM ladies cruiser style bike. but cannot find a serial number only on the back wheel part that all the sprockets connect to and it is A88995. It is a candy apple red colour with pin striping. The seat is old with all the springs underneath. and the chain gear hass old CCM letters cut out through it. Do you have any ideas on date for me?

Thank you

Gerry Lauzon said...

Hello Stephanie, according to my chart it would be either a 1921 or a later 1960's or early 70's bike. Still a very good bike that should last you a life time if well taken care of.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

I have identical ladies bike like yours, I also bought a mans ccm approx. same year 1938?,what I desparately need to know is where do I get new tires and tubes to fit the 28" rims on these old beatiful ccm's and what sizes are they clled these days?

Gerry Lauzon said...

I think 700c tires are the same size. Ask your bike shop.

Gerry :)

Greg Manning said...

Gerry, I found a "typo" in your CCM serial list.

The 1942 series is the letter H not F, I can prove it.... I found under the stucco we are removing from our home the end flap of a CCM bike vox, from that era.

Mark's list at drumbent.com shows it as H as well.

(Just in case someone else is using the list :)

Greg Manning

Gerry Lauzon said...

Thanks Greg, there are 2 different list about those serial numbers going around the web. I guess Mark's is the good one since you have actual physical proof to back it up. Nice cycling archaeological find!

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

I have a old CCM single speed bike and the model is CCM Catalina Glider,I cannot find any information on this bike can anybody help me ?

Gerry Lauzon said...

Sorry, I never heard of it.

Gerry

One Sport Ninja said...

This one was one of the best vintage bikes from that time. You took the right decision to buy this one without any hesitation.

Unknown said...

Just got this one given to me,same bike, under all that paint :)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156312635213344&id=611898343

Unknown said...

Where was the serial number?