OUR ADVERTISERS

Sunday, November 29, 2009

My CCM Marauder


Here's one of the reasons that I got back into biking, apart from that caress of the leather saddle on the Raleigh Sports. The CCM Marauder.
Back in 1975 my trusty Raleigh Chopper 10 speed bike of doom got stolen. It's the only bike that ever got stolen from me and it was the first one that I bought with my own money. There was no way my Mother was going to pay for that death trap, so I had to find the coin myself.

Anyways, my Dad felt my pain and decided to make it all better and bought me a CCM Marauder thinking it was the same thing. Well you know, it has a small front wheel and those ape hanger bars right? Not! I gave credit to my old man for trying real hard but I hated that bike. I rode it for a few years and one day it just vanished from my life. The Marauder, compared to the Chopper, is a heavy weight and doesn't handle as good. The frame alone must be in the 30 pound range. The brakes however are similar to the Chopper, they don't work worth a crap!

However, even tho it's not as cool as the Chopper, it is still a very different looking beast than your run of the mill lowrider bike and very hard to find. Low and behold 2 months ago I decided to have a look at a local garage sale a few houses from my place with zero hope of finding anything good. Most of the stuff sold around here is left over baby toys and clothes. My spur of the moment decision that day paid off big time.

I saw the bike at the end of the driveway just begging for me to take it home. I was thinking to myself "He's going to ask at least $50 for this thing, I don't have room, I'm done with bikes, etc..". The other problem was that at some point in my life I was actively looking for one of these and 10 years of searching provided me with zip. But there it was and my mouth was opening to ask the price knowing that the answer would seal my faith.

Me - "So, I much for that bike?"
Seller - " $10, it's a collector's item you know?"
Me- "OK I.....I didn't bring any money! Would you take a $2 deposit? I'll be back in 10 minutes"

So now it sits in my storage shed waiting to be revived in the Spring. This bike got me back in the swing of things. Within 24 hours of getting it, I had located a NOS seat and chain guard from my contacts. The bike rides nice but does need a lot of work. I even have to get some welding done on it. I'm also debating about repainting it or bringing the original finish back as good as I can and live with it. I'm leaning towards the second option since these things are only original once.

On a side note, I love you honey and I promise to sell one of the bikes to make room for this one. :)

Until next time, ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry :)


6 comments:

Big Oak said...

Cool looking bike. Good luck trying to part with one of your bikes!

Gerry Lauzon said...

Thanks for the vote of sympathy, I'm going to need it.

Gerry :)

how to ollie said...

Excellent post and writing style. Bookmarked.

Paul Robinson said...

Cool my son (12) is working on restoring one the only piece missing is the chain guard any suggestion on how to locate one ?
PaulR
Robinson.paul@shaw.ca

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I love your Marauder. I remember seeing it in a Goodyear tire store in, like, 1973 here in Toronto. I begged my father to buy it, but it was like $80 - a huge sum for a kid's bike. Never happened. He bought me a broken Peugeot from someone at work. Never forgot about the Marauder, of course. I showed the picture to my kids and they can't believe how cool it is. They envy me for growing up in the 1970s. I would have to agree. Those redline tires kill.

Gerry Lauzon said...

Sorry Paul, I have no clue where you can get one. I got mine from a collector friend and it was the last spare he had. Unfortunately the Marauder currently is in pieces in a couple of boxes. I have no idea when I'll get the time or inspiration to get to it.

Gerry :)