OUR ADVERTISERS

Monday, July 04, 2011

The can of nuts and bolts...and beyond!


Every bike addict that respects him/herself should have at least one can full of nuts, bolts and miscellaneous washers in his or her shop. Of course in a matter of mere weeks one can won't be enough.

The next level is that you won't limit yourself to those small nuts and bolts. You will get out of control with tool boxes full of spare derailleurs, pedals, crank arms, bottom brackets, Italian size bearing cups (Because you don't see those too often and what are the chances of you needing one...never.). All this to say that soon enough it will all get out of control and you will end up spending your retirement years trying to put all these things in order.

This trend is easy to start and it does get out of control fast since you will start stripping to the bone every bike you get your hands on leaving nothing but the bare frame (You will keep those of course for that next great project.). Every single bike has usable parts on it, I don't care how badly mangled it is. Having your own stash is smart and easy on the pocket book.

One piece of advice, if you are starting now, start putting all this stuff in order right away. If you decide to get at it after a few years like me, you will quickly realize that it is probably more feasible to climb Everest instead. :)

I really like the fact that I have at my disposal all those little doohickeys...if only I could find the one I need in the pile! Hours of entertainment.

I'm sure some of you are thinking if I've ever got rid of any of that stuff, yes I have, 3 times actually. Have I ever needed a part weeks after getting rid of it after 5 years of storage? You bet, but that only happened once or twice and I live to tell tale, so don't hoard for no good reason, purge once and a while. Who knows, you might make some new friends.

 
Don't forget to check out the how-to articles post
and download my free bike maintenance book if you haven't already.



Until next time, ride safe and free.

Gerry :)

10 comments:

ZAPPDOG said...

Nice post Gerry. My living room, bedroom and garage have been looking like a bike shop lately. I feel a big purge coming on. I also need to purge a few other hobbies as well like electronics, wood working, some old models and parts and 40 or so paint bottles that have dried out.
Bike parts are getting so numerous I just gave a nice mountain bike with 50 miles on it to a lady friend who mentioned working on her butt. I had no need for it and hadn't even ridden it myself. Once the frame is finished I will build up a bike from parts on hand and donate it to a local neighborhood free bike clinic and let them find a home for it. They will get the extra parts left over too. Thats always a good place to unload bike parts.

Gerry Lauzon said...

I hear you Brother! Too many hobbies, so little time.

Gerry :)

Robert said...

Yes, the boxes of miscellaneous hardware that clutter our shelves. I too am guilty of collecting such wonders. however I found a way to cleans myself of those goodies. I move. Like now, I am closing my eyes and putting in the garbage all those things that coulda woulda shoulda been useful.
It is good for the soul.

Robert

Gerry Lauzon said...

Amen to that Brother.

Gerry :)

Mary C. said...

I need that... I had a chance to buy a box of odd parts with two vintage bikes I picked up at an estate sale... but I had no idea what to do with them or that they might come in handy one day... I still regret not taking it home :/

Unknown said...

may be useful for all, helpful article once and pardon me permission to share also here Cara mengecilkan perut buncit dengan cepat

cara menggugurkan kandungan said...

a pride for me to be able to discuss on a quality website because I just learned to make an article on

harish sharma said...





activa 6g launch date

Sophie Grace said...

The content of your blog is exactly what I needed.This topic has always fascinated me. It's stimulating game sims 4 cheats allow you to stop sims and objects from become stuck or trapped, so there's a practical use too them

cara menggugurkan kandungan said...

I thank you for the information and articles you provided