OUR ADVERTISERS

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Home Made Stretch Bike



I guess I love long bikes but this one is special. I've always wanted my cake and to eat it too. Comfort, performance and good looks. I think I pulled it off.

Back in June my buddy Vince showed me his custom made 26 inch lowrider he extended with the back of a mixte frame. It gave me an idea, going longer than Vince and making a kinda semi-recumbent cruiser. As it happened I had the cruiser frame and the mixte frame just lying around the house. Lucky me.






I hacked the frames and left some extra metal since I wasn't too sure on how I was going to pull this off. I don't have a welder or any idea on how to use one.

I bolted the pedal axle from the mixte frame to the cruiser frame at the chainstays. I then married and bolted the seat stays from both frames together using graded bolts. I have no flex in the frame but as soon as I find a good welder, I'm having all this welded proper.





I put on a set of 26X1.95 in the back with barely 2mm of clearance on both sides of the frame. In front I put 26X1.50 slicks. The shifter you see is a temporary set up but the foot rear  brake will remain.

So far the home made stretch bike rides like a dream. A 20 mile shake down cruise proved to be without any problems. The only thing I would have made differently would have been to use a jig. Doing it by eyeball is good but not perfect. It's a bit crooked but it doesn't show while riding.






Next on the list, paint job!

Don't forget to check out the how-to articles post
and download my free bike maintenance book if you haven't already.

Until next time, ride safe and free.

Gerry :)

10 comments:

David J said...

Wow! This is impressive! I have thought of using a mixte frame to create the rear of a recumbent long bike.

I don't have welding gear either so this post is right up my alley.
What a great fit! The bike looks excellent too!

My only concern would be the strength of the top tubes which have been cut and bolted together.

How do you think that'll hold out? I know hose clamps could look ugly but do you think they might stabilize the tubes?

Well Done. Great Job

georgiaboy said...

that is just plain cool! it makes my longtail pale in comparison. I cant wait to see it finished and painted!

Gerry Lauzon said...

David, so far no flex at all. My graded bolts are holding very well. georgiaboy, you won't have to wait long. It's done.

Gerry :)

Unknown said...

i love this stuff...and do it again another project so do i...in europe

Gerry Lauzon said...

Keep me posted on your progress.

Gerry :)

Holly said...

This is great!

Gerry Lauzon said...

Thanks :)

Harpo Zephur said...

I really like what you did. I like to take perfectly good bikes, mess them all up and ride them around that way.

Harpo Zephur said...

I really like what you did. I like to take perfectly good bikes, mess them all up and ride them around that way.

yanmaneee said...

jordan shoes
golden goose sneakers
yeezy
air jordan
paul george
kyrie shoes
kd13
chrome hearts online store
retro jordans
lebron james shoes