OUR ADVERTISERS

Friday, May 31, 2013

Preparing for a big ride

I'm scheduled to do the "Tour la Nuit" here in Montreal this evening. My bike and I haven't participated in anything serious, ride-wise  in over a year. This being a night ride with thousands of other cyclists, it is quite important to have proper lighting installed and for it to be fully functional.

Getting the tools out.

My lighting gear was starting to show its age, so I decided to fork the bucks for some new front and back lights. A trip to MEC provided the required equipment for less than $20 and the ride to and from the store gave me a chance to gauge myself and my bike. Not bad but the bike needed some tweaking.

Small but very effective white LED light. This sub $10 will give you proper lighting for an entire season on one battery. 

Very bright $8 rear LED light. I always set mine to blink in order to be more visible.
Installed the lights, checked and adjusted the brakes, checked tire pressure and prepared a tool kit. Tool kits should contain whatever you feel is necessary to keep Murphy at bay. The number of tools and the distance you are willing to walk home are relative to themselves.

My personal selection for the evening.
Talking about Murphy's Law, we might have a chance of rain tonight so I decided to install a rear fender. It probably won't rain now but I can guaranty you that it would have should I have decided to lazily avoid putting one on. 30 minutes well spent.

Always do a test ride prior to the big one.
If you're in Montreal, hope to see you there. If not, until next time ride safe and free.

Gerry :)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing, I hope you continue to write spirit next topic
Frip games

Teresa Halminton said...

:o Want to have a big trip like yours with my bicycle.
instagram online

Sharon McMiller said...

I love LED light more than other types, cause I can work for http://learnsmmwithme.dynadot.com/. I need to write every day and a good lighting is always preferable.

ahmed said...

The stages of transporting the sheep from Jeddah to Dammam
Aftash is the contents that exist inside houses, villas and palaces such as furniture, carpets, rugs, household and electrical appliances. Each piece needs great care until it reaches the new location safely.شركة نقل عفش
شركة نقل عفش من الرياض الى الامارات

شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى الامارات

شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط

Hema Refai said...


شركة الصفرات لعزل الخزانات بالرياض

Hema Refai said...

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لعزل الخزانات بالرياض