OUR ADVERTISERS

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

UPDATE ON THE BLOG AND OTHER THINGS


Well I'm approaching the second anniversary of this blog in a few days and I thought it would be cool to do a little recap and let all of you know what's coming up. When I started this website I had no clue what I was doing, well apart from fixing bikes of course. :) If I had, I would have done a few things differently, but i guess that's what life is for. After all, success is a lousy teacher. I must say however that I'm very happy with the way things are turning out. I've met a bunch of people on and off line, helped a few on the way, helped participate in the rebirth of more than a few bikes and had a great time doing it.

A big "thank you" to all of you, you've made this blog what it is and I think it is more than appropriate to adorn this post with the picture of a reader's bike. The one speed you see pictured is the pride and joy of Johann from South Africa and if you can believe it, he crossed a 100km desert with it. He's planning a 2300km cross country trip next year. Awesome ride Johann.

I know that how to articles have been slow to come lately, but don't despair. I have one around the corner about replacing a rim the easy way stemming from my current Rat Bike Build Off project. Answering emails, comments on the blog and giving time at the local community bike shop has also kept me very busy. A recent email has also prompted me to start something I have been putting on hold for too long, a book.

I was contacted by a publishing agent to write a book about bike repair. The deal never came to fruition and I decided to go about it myself. Wow, talk about a mine field when it comes to publishing a book! My day to day job is a cake walk compared to that.

So in the spirit of Wikinomics and this blog, I've decided to publish it myself and make it available through here. No middle man, so I'll be able to offer it for donations. Just like Radiohead did with their new album, you'll be able to download it and give whatever you want. A hard copy will also be available through Cafepress for a decent price. The writing is all done(no copy and paste, all fresh text) and I'll use some of my vacation time coming up in the next weeks to take the pictures. That's it, I've just committed myself, so keep posted.


Til next time, ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm very excited to see the book!

Also, Mega-Congrats on two years! That's a century in blog time:)

Michael said...

I look forward to your book and will certainly compensate you for it.
I've been reading your blog for over a year now, though I never comment. I've appreciated every post, whether bike-specific news or bike repair tips. Thank you for continuing to post to this blog.

WestfieldWanderer said...

As a City & Guilds Accredited cycle mechanic I'm looking forwad to seeing your book and to learn something new.

As someone who knows that it's sometimes difficult to cook up a few paragraphs for a humble blog the thought of sitting down and writing a whole book is a truly scary prospect. Congratulations on your efforts here; if the book is half as good as the blog then it's going to be a cracker!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Gerry on the Anniversary and the book publishing...Just wondering if you are gonna be able to squeeze time in for the Hamilton Cruise with your full plate? Hope you are still able to make it and if not we will see you in Montreal once you get a cruise organized out that way.

Anonymous said...

When this book is published, I can guarantee that I'll be one of the lucky people who reads this blog and was given the heads-up for early purchase

I'm always looking for good, new, QUALITY reading material, and after reading this blog for a time, I'm sure that anything that springs from your keyboard will be just that.

-Cass

Gerry Lauzon said...

Thanks Cass, the book is being proof read right now and I'm in the process of photoshoping the images. Hang on guys, it's coming real soon.

Gerry :)

Anonymous said...

Fine quality, Gynoids through medicine fictional works are typically incorporated made all after gentlegents, Attempting create a wonderful women. (Policy)Twitter LoginYou can employ this if you want to actually improve the look of applying for, And even finalizing in inwithin your Hubpages history.

Generally 11,483 sq. Compared to you see, our own phenotype, A genotype may not be seen. (Online privacy)The online social Cheap Yeezy Shoes networks LoginYou can make use in order to be able for you to help reduces costs air force 1 in store of Cheap Yeezys For Sale getting started with, Or possibly a finalizing in on to the Hubpages benutzerkonto.

Perhaps you are thinking Michael Kors Outlet Sale a partner caucasian. You too can consider New Jordan Shoes incorporating those status of childcare professional and thus teacher Coach Outlet Store if you have an acquaintance who can manipulate both roles just like most likely can work if you're considering to the home associated with sustaining an occupation..

Simply total of diabolical deceptiveness at Pakistan can transition this excellent irrevocable certainty.. You'll Jordan Shoes For Sale start to see, Several other nice-looking Selma. (Online privacy)ExpertThis props up golf widget and also check out overall performance.

"He was quoted saying the contemplation for the trail rush was the illness because pointing to his / her pop Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses whenever you are he was quite aged the option that on a birthday it was actually the three tough and her. The back and front limbs will be able to turn.

Up to date you can find 2 problem, One springing out of reobtaining and the various other in direction of the ui getting stuck anytime seeking save an image... All you would possibly run was to accumulate up family and locate the right path over the new wreckage, Disregard the old sprayed according and looking collections and return to in the places you wanted your place was still being popularity..