OUR ADVERTISERS

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

So you wanna be a Bike Bum?

This past Summer I took a week's vacation in late May while the rest of the family was still out working. The goal, to be a Bike Bum for a week.



Stuck in the modern trappings of a wife, 2.5 kids, a mortgage and a demanding job, I have always envied those free spirits on wheels that I see cruising along the streets of Montreal. Fortunately for me, I happen to know a few of those young free riding spirits.



So the idea was to get myself on the bike every morning and just go somewhere. I also decided to take on any group ride that happen to come my way. In a great stroke of luck, I had fantastic weather all week and I was able to ride out every day, not that rain was going to be a problem.

I must say that I had amazing experiences with all those that I had the privilege to ride with. In spite of having ridden most of this City, I still managed to find new places I hadn't seen yet. I rode next to crazy and daring riders who gave me a show in riding prowess that should belong in one of those rock videos. I rode myself to bicycle overdose! I never taught that could be possible...it was.



At the end of the week, I had lived an amazing chapter in my life but came to a sad conclusion. Being a Bike Bum is not just riding your bike everyday, it is a life style. At this stage in my life I can only hope to be a wannabe in the face of all those fantastic free spirits who live it everyday. I shall envy them to the grave and love them forever.

Ride free and safe. Godspeed

Gerry :)

2 comments:

jack said...

This post reads like an awesome opening to a biking magazine article. Really. Just expand on some of the specific experiences you had with the unique riders you encountered, and the new places you found in Montreal, and I'll bet you could sell this article to a bike magazine. Yeah, I'm jealous of your experience.

Gerry Lauzon said...

Who am I to refuse my readers. Keep posted for my next article today.

Thanks for the nudge.

Gerry :)